Child Abuse Safety Tips: Who is Required to Report Child Abuse and Neglect

Any person who has cause to believe that a child has suffered abuse or neglect should report such incidents.

Counselor with childThese people are legally required to report child abuse or neglect:

  • Medical practitioners
  • Nurses
  • Dentists
  • Social service counselors and therapists
  • Psychologists
  • Medical examiners
  • Pharmacists
  • School personnel
  • Child care providers
  • Law enforcement officers
  • Juvenile probation officers
  • Corrections employees
  • DSHS employees
  • Placement and liaison specialists
  • Responsible living skills program staff
  • HOPE center staff
  • State family and children ombudsman
  • Adults residing with a child suspected to have been severely abused

Continued next week.

Child Abuse Series:

The Cleveland Police Foundation, in partnership with the Cleveland Division of Police and the Ohio Crime Prevention Association present these tips so citizens can help to make our community safer. 


The Cleveland Police Foundation is the official charity for the Cleveland Division of Police and the only organization authorized to solicit charitable contributions on its behalf.

We provide funding for youth and community outreach programs, community policing and engagement initiatives, safety & crime prevention programs, and support the members of the Cleveland Division of Police to help them better perform their duties. Contributions to the CPF are tax deductible under section 501 (c)(3) of the IRS Code.

Donate Here

Thank you for supporting the mission of the CPF.