Most street criminals are creatures of OPPORTUNITY, and in their own way, sensible. One of the keys to safety is to avoid triggering the desire to commit a crime in the first place.
General Safety Tips
* Stand tall and walk with confidence. Don’t appear to be a willing target. Always be aware of what is going on around you.
* When walking, stick to well-lighted and busy streets. Walk with a friend(s). Avoid shortcuts through dark alleys or deserted streets.
* If harassed by someone in a car, walk quickly or run in the opposite direction to safety.
* Don’t flash your cash. Carry only the money and/ or credit cards you will be needing for the day.
* Know your neighborhood. Know where your neighborhood police and fire stations are located as these are places you may wish to go in the case of an emergency.
* If you go out for late night snacks, movies or errands, avoid going by yourself. Most assaults happen to a lone victim.
(continued next week)