Carbon monoxide poisoning is not just a concern for those who have fireplaces. If you have any gas or coal-burning appliances, you also need to take care.
- Have your heating system, water heater and other gas or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician each year.
- Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.
- Never use generators in your home, basement or garage.
- Have your chimney checked and cleaned every year.
- Make sure gas appliances are vented properly.
- Never use a gas oven for heating your home.
- Never let a car idle in your garage.
- Install at least one carbon monoxide detector on each floor of your home.
Winter Safety Tips Series
- The Art of Falling Safely
- Protect Your Home from Pipe Freeze Damage
- Winter Driving
- Shoveling Snow, Staying Safe
- Snow Blower Safety
- How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
The Cleveland Police Foundation, in partnership with the Cleveland Division of Police and the Ohio Crime Prevention Association present these tips so citizens can help to make our community safer.