The Origin of the Cleveland Police Mounted Unit

The Cleveland Police Mounted Unit was officially established in 1911, although horses most likely have played a part in the Force since it began in 1866…

Mounted Unit

Mounted Unit 2The mounted unit began when Police Chief Fred Kohler went to Blot’s Livery and rented two horses for the department. Sergeant George Matowitz was picked to lead this new unit.

Although Sergeant Matowitz was the first, his brother James Matowitz is actually credited as being the “Father of the Cleveland Mounted Unit.” James created a Mounted Unit drill team, initiated special uniforms and built the stables on East 38th Street where the horses are still kept today.

The Cleveland Police Mounted Unit has honored:

  • World Champs in Military Mounted Drill, 1933
  • President Warren G. Harding’s Funeral Procession
  • Inauguration parades for Presidents Dwight D. Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, George Bush and Donald Trump

Information courtesy of The Cleveland Police Historical Society. One can support the Mounted Unit by joining the Friends of the Cleveland Mounted Police.


_

The Cleveland Police Foundation is the official charity for the Cleveland Division of Police and the only organization authorized to solicit charitable contributions on its behalf.

In addition to providing funding for youth and community outreach programs, community policing and engagement initiatives, safety & crime prevention programs, and supporting the members of the Cleveland Division of Police to help them better perform their duties, the CPF proudly supports the following charities in accomplishing their mission.

Contributions to the CPF are tax deductible under section 501 (c)(3) of the IRS Code.

Donate Here

Thank you for supporting the mission of the CPF.