It’s that time of year again! Hard to believe summer vacation is almost over. While you are in the mindset of getting school supplies and back-to-school clothes, it’s good to consider these safety tips, too.
- Plan a walk route to the school or bus stop; choose the most direct way with the fewest street crossings–and if possible with intersections that have school guards.
- Walk the route with your child beforehand.
- Teach your child never to talk to strangers.
- Have your child walk with a sibling, friend or neighbor.
- Teach your kids to obey traffic signs when walking or biking.
- When driving your kids to school, deliver and pick them up as close to the school as possible.
- If your child rides a bike make sure a helmet is worn.
- Have your child arrive at bus stop early and stay seated when on the bus.
- Be sure your child knows his or her phone number and address.
More tips next week!
In this series:
- Staying Safe on the Way to School
- Driving Safely Around Schools
- Clothing and School Supplies
- Playground Safety
The Cleveland Police Foundation, in partnership with the Cleveland Division of Police and the Ohio Crime Prevention Association present these tips so citizens can help to make our community safer.